Data from the CDC shows that as of September 24, Missouri only had six reported cases of the deadly disease. Last year, Missouri had 20 cases.
West Nile Virus is transmitted by mosquitoes, that get the disease from infected birds. To contracting the disease, the CDC recommends wearing long sleeves and pants at night, using mosquito repellant containing DEET and installing screens on windows and doors.
Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services spokesperson Ryan Hobart credits the public for the decrease in cases.
"A lot of times people who are taking the proper precautions when they're outdoors have a lot to do with it," Hobart said. "Just in general trying to avoid areas where there might be a high population of mosquitoes."
Of the six cases reported to the CDC none of them were fatal. In five years, only five cases originating in Missouri have resulted in death. There are 44 confirmed deaths from West Nile Virus nationwide as of September 24.
According to the CDC up to 80% of West Nile cases don't display symptoms. The remaining 20% may suffer from headaches, neck stiffness, body aches and vomiting.
The CDC's website says a majority of West Nile cases occur between June and September.